Sunday, January 15, 2012

Getting Back In The Flow




Well, week 2 is here and it took the whole week for me to figure out what to shoot. Hard to get back in the mindset of shooting again. I remember shooting this waterfall at about 103rd and Metcalf, but it was during the summer and I even commented in that post that I would need to revisit the waterfall in the winter. One reason I'd want to do that is in the winter it freezes up and the ice formations can be very nice. Today I decided to use this as my object. What I didn't account for was the fact that it was a bright and sunny day - therefore the image I wanted to create was much more difficult. To make the water kind of cottony or wispy you need a longer shutter exposure. To get that you need a pretty small aperture. Well to get a small aperture I had to move way back and zoom in so instead of shooting the whole waterfall I was forced to only select a portion of it. Well, as the Christmas decorations were still present this made more sense - less to edit out!

I think I liked the end result, but I look forward to Spring when outdoor shooting is more interesting.

Shot spex: RAW Image, Pentax K10D, ISO 100, 195mm, f45, 1/6 sec., no flash.

PhotoShop spex: Smart Sharpened, cropped, adjusted Contrast and Brightness, created a second layer for the water so I could adjust it to my liking without affecting the rest of the image.

Tunes listened to while editing: Blink 182 - Neighborhoods

In other news I've started a Week In Review blog using pictures I've taken with my cell phone. If you want to follow that here is the link.

2 comments:

  1. Ron I have shot that exact same waterfall before! Do you have an ND Filter? If you do, you can get the longer exposure time that you require. I used a -4 stop ND filter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have one of those! Would be a good idea to add that to the bag. I am so out of practice. I realized once I read your post that I could have at least put on my Circular Polarizor (sp?) filter and might have gotten a bit closer to the longer exposure. Oh well, that's why I started this back up - so I get get back in the habit and brush up on my skills. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete