Monday, June 22, 2009

Day #24 - The Falls


I've been driving by this waterfall everyday for at least the last 2 years. It's at about 103rd and Metcalf and I've seen it in all kinds of seasons. It's really neat during winter when it's frozen solid. I'll be sure to shoot a picture this winter of that. In the meantime, as I drove by it today I thought I should shoot it once the day cooled off a bit. I headed back to shoot this picture at about 8:45pm. I forgot that taking a camera out that has been sitting in the air-conditioning all day is not the best thing to do. At the very least I had to sit for about 5-7 minutes while I waited for the "condensation" (Donovan might get this reference) to clear off the optics.

I played with a variety of exposures, knowing that I wanted the type of water that would result from a long exposure. I used my flash as well to give the rocks some more detail as it was starting to get a bit dark.

When I edited the image I started with a portrait shot that showed a bit more sky. As the sky was very boring and had almost no color I went to a shot I fired at the very end where I cocked the camera off kilter to crop out the boring sky. In this case I think it worked.

Shot spex: Pentax K10D, ISO 800, 24mm, f27, 3 sec., flash.

PhotoShop spex: Smart Sharpened, adjusted contrast and levels.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work. This turned out really great. I like how you used your flash to get the rocks and then dragged your shutter for 3 seconds to get the smooth water effect. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete