Thursday, January 7, 2010

Calling London - London Calling


On this day in history in 1927 the first transatlantic telephone call was made – from New York City to London. The first thing I thought of when I read this was of how far telecommunications has come. The second thing I thought of was the Clash album, London Calling. The third thing I thought of was, "hey, I could pull up a picture of that album in less than 60 seconds with my HTC Hero"!

This image was tricky. I played with all kinds of lighting tricks and just couldn't create a 100% color image I liked of it. Then I decided that a blend of Black and White and Color was exactly the right way to portray the idea of a phone that could simply make a transatlantic telephone call (B&W) and a phone that houses a portable computer capable of amazing things like communicating transatlantic color images (Color).

Shot spex: Jpeg Image, Pentax K10D, ISO 800, prime 50mm, f2, 1/20 sec., flash aimed directly behind me on a sync cable with an Omni-Bounce attached.

PhotoShop spex: Smart Sharpened, Layered and Desaturated. Adjusted Contrast and Brightness on each layer to my liking.

Tunes listened to while editing: Again nothing - too lazy to trek upstairs to get my iPod!

No comments:

Post a Comment