Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Day #68 - "Napoleon, give me some of your tots."


Okay, so today I was really grasping for an idea. I saw these tator tots left over from our dinner and decided to stack them in the same way that Pedro had his stacked in the movie Napoleon Dynamite. Then I thought, "Why not shoot these as my picture of the day"? My wife thought (and still thinks) I was nuts, but she's always thought that.

What started out as an easy shot, quickly became a learning opportunity! I've noticed a few shots I've done lately change in color quality when I use the "Save for Web" option in PhotoShop. This image was one of those ones that really turned flat when I did that tonight. No one would think these tots looked very tasty had I left them the flat color they turned using that option. So I set out to figure out the solution to my problem. It turns out that I don't need to use the "Save for Web" option at all. So I learned something from this simple "Tot Shot"!

Shot spex: RAW Image, Pentax K10D, ISO 800, 200mm, f6.3, 1/30 sec., no flash.

PhotoShop spex: Smart Sharpened (as always), adjusted Levels and Brightness/Contrast. I then created a duplicate layer and applied the Smudge Stick filter. I then erased the are where the tots were to bring back the sharpness there. The Smudge Stick filter was really used to make the pan look better.

Tunes listened to while editing: Diffuser- Injury Loves Melody. The first 8 tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment