Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day #74 - Mae ( A Favorite Shot I Reworked)


Today I did not get a chance to shoot a picture so I did the next best thing. I decided to play with a picture I shot some time ago (over a year ago) now that I've learned a few things.

This shot is of one of my favorite bands, Mae, taken while they played a show at The Bottleneck in Lawrence. I liked the shot before, but there were certain elements that I never bothered to fix before tonight.

Shooting concert pictures is really challenging. First off the lighting is usually very low so you are forced to either use a flash (which really makes the image look unnatural, and you loose the colored lighting that is usually present) or you have to bump up the ISO way high (which adds grain). I prefer to go for the grainy look in order to preserve the colors from the lighting. One way I have learned to enhance the grain is to use the Poster Edges filter.

Shot spex: RAW Image, Pentax K10D, ISO 1600, 67mm, f4.5, 1/20 sec., no flash.

PhotoShop spex: Smart Sharpened (as always), adjusted Levels and Brightness/Contrast. Applied the Poster Edges filter. Fixed some blemishes in the image using the clone stamp and the healing brush.

Tunes listened to while editing: Mae - Singularity (Duh!). Songs 8 - 13. For whatever reason I tend to skip to track 8 and finish out the album a lot. Nothing wrong with tracks 1 - 7, but I like 8 - 13!

No comments:

Post a Comment