Monday, August 31, 2009

Day #90 - X Marks The Spot....


Today, I found myself in Dallas with a few hours to spare for some site seeing. One thing I wanted to see was the place where the Kennedy assassination took place. Not out of morbid curiosity but more because I have always had an interest in history. And with Teddy Kennedy's passing this week, it seemed fitting to see where one of his brothers passed many years before his time.

I found it interesting that there is an actual "X" right on the street where the second shot hit JFK. Actually there was a fainter one just up the street a few feet where the first shot made impact. It's kind of gruesome I guess, but we humans are drawn to things like this. So much so that there were street vendors hounding us to buy memorial guides and picture books and all kinds of other "souvenirs".

I had to wait for a break in traffic to hop into the street for this shot. It was kinda crazy and got my heart pumping pretty good. Of course this shot has more than the "X". In the background is the Texas School Book Depository Building. The window where Oswald shot from is the second one down from the top right of the building.

If you get a chance to see this site I recommend it, but beware the street vendors and other street people hustling the tourists for money. It can be overwhelming!

I decided to convert the image to BW to heighten the impact of the shot and to convey a sense of history.

1 comment:

  1. Really interesting. Definitely a place I would like to visit. Nice touch with the B&W processing too, it definitely fits.

    ReplyDelete