Monday, June 15, 2009

Day #17 - Hollis


Okay, so I am sort of cheating today. I did actually shoot some pictures today, but I really didn't like anything I shot and yesterday I went to the Battle Of The Bands where my friends band Hollis was competing. I have shot several concerts in the last couple of years but this was the first time I shot in RAW and I wanted to see how things went. I won't cheat often, but after shooting nearly 150 pictures last night I figure I am keeping with the spirit of the project. And besides, as my Dad said in the photo class he was teaching Saturday, the digital darkroom makes up at least 50% of the creative work involved in creating great pictures and I did all the PhotoShop work today sooooo.....

I don't know if you've ever shot concerts, but it's not easy. In fact it's really hard. Generally the rules don't allow flash photography and quite honestly the flash just makes things look really un-natural anyways. You have to shoot a lot of exposures at a high ISO with the aperture as wide open as possible.

The band put on a great show and I think I got some pretty decent shots. Here is one I liked that showed all the band members.

Shot spex: RAW Image, Pentax K10D, ISO 1600, 18mm, f3.5, 1/15 sec., no flash.

PhotoShop spex: Smart Sharpened, adjusted contrast and levels a tad bit, cropped to my liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment