Thursday, June 25, 2009

Day #27 - Music For All Time


So what a day! The King of Pop, Michael Jackson passes away at the way too young age of 50. I don't know if this inspired me to listen to a LOT of music tonight, but it might have had some subconscious affect.

I went over to my buddy Donovan's house tonight and we ended up just listening to tons of songs while loading up my iPod and trying to figure out the name of a specific Led Zeppelin song. It was kind of a nice time of tunes and chilling out. Upon reflection I thought it was kind of cool how we were listening to music fairly current and then spent a fair amount of time listening to music that was almost 40 years old. Good music really doesn't ever become irrelevant.

So I got home and was pondering what to shoot while fighting with my computer. I had to re-boot about 3 times, got a blue screen of death, and was just about to give up when it came back to life. I decided to set up a shot of some Cd's from my collection. To go a step further I made sure one of the disks that was showing was fairly current (anberlin - Blueprints For The Black Market) and one was more of a classic (The Police - Synchronicity). The I shot a few with flash and realized that unless I got real creative, the flash was just going to cause severe reflections off the jewel cases. I then went to long shutter speeds and worked until I had a good histogram.

Then I listened to one of my top 10 favorite albums while I edited away! Any guesses? Probably only Donovan and Dionne would know. Bonus points to anyone who can post up the answer! Not sure what the points are good for but...

Shot spex: RAW Image, Pentax K10D, ISO 800, 33mm, f13, 2 sec., no flash.

PhotoShop spex: Adjusted levels, and darkened up the mid-tones a bit more than normal. Smart Sharpened (as always), and adjusted the Contrast quite a bit for a creative look.

No comments:

Post a Comment