Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day #19 - Drum Roll Please


I am a man of many hobbies. While photography is the main one that I invest time, energy and money in, I also love Jeeps, music, reading and playing the drums. Tonight I thought I would combine 2 hobbies for the picture of the day. Partly because I waited until 10:30 at night to shoot the picture and partly because it was wicked hot outside today so I knew I didn't want to trek outside with all my gear.

Anyway, I have been playing the drums for about 28 years now. I've had this drum set since I graduated high school and the drum head has a nice bit of use on it. It's a fun way to exercise and also can be therapeutic. I know my parents used to wonder if I was thinking about them when I was playing back when I still lived with them. To tell the truth, when I play I kind of slip into a nice relaxed mental space. It's all about the music and letting my creative self kinda create the beat that feels right. Seems in some ways it is similar to photography. I'd love to play more often to hone my skills. Maybe I should start a "play the drums every day" project. I think I better just focus on my "Pic-A-Day" project for now.

Shot spex: RAW Image, Pentax K10D, ISO 400, 50mm (prime lens), f11, 1/60 sec., flash aimed at ceiling with LumiQuest Softbox attached (set to -1.0).

1 comment:

  1. Great shot. I love the way you have the drumsticks positioned for this shot and how they make a triangle intersecting with the round drum. Also the detail and texture is really cool and I think well served by your B&W processing.

    ReplyDelete