Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day #26 - Spare Some Change?


Well, I had planned to be somewhere to capture a nice sunset tonight, but Mother Nature had other plans! So I had to look to the indoors to find a subject.

I have this jar of change on the desk that I had this lofty goal of filling to the brim before we cashed it in. Sadly, it gets raided quite often and so it never has more than an inch of coins in the bottom. I decided to see what I could make of it.

I placed the jar on the floor and aimed the camera directly down into the mouth of the jar. I then proceeded to take some pictures and quickly realized that unless I had a ring light flash, I was going to get a hard shadow to one side of the jar. It was then that I decided to put the flash on my cord and I laid it on the ground next to the jar and shot through the side of it. I liked what I saw and after tweaking the exposure just a little bit I had a workable image.

Shot spex: RAW Image, Pentax K10D, ISO 100, 50mm (prime lens), f2.0, 1/90 sec., flash used as outlined above.

PhotoShop spex: In PS I decided to get rid of the office carpet by creating a duplicate layer which I proceeded to apply a radial blur to. A little eraser work to bring out the part of the image I wanted back in focus and I was done. I Smart Sharpened (as always), and slightly adjusted the Contrast.

1 comment:

  1. What a cool surprise of an image. I would have never guessed that perspective would be so interesting. Your lighting worked great too. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete