Sunday, June 7, 2009

Day #9 - The Way It Used To Be


Today I was watching some TV and was also wondering what I would shoot for my assignment today. That is when I noticed the old camera collection in my TV cabinet. I started thinking about how photography used to be done (something my Dad and I talk about from time to time). Then it dawned on me - why not shoot some pictures of the antique photography equipment with my fancy schmancy digital gear? So after the family went to bed, I went to work. Today I also decided it was time to switch to RAW. I have only used it a few times and really wasn't sure what I thought about it. My Dad switched 100% to RAW a while back and has raved about the control he has in the digital darkroom. I must say, "Pop, you were right"! I found that I had quite a bit of control that I hadn't had before. I don't know if anyone wants all the technical details, but as this was my first RAW experience I will record them this time anyway. I shot 7 images and then came up to the computer. Immediately I noticed that my focus was way off. I had everything else the way I liked it, but needed to adjust focus. So thankfully I hadn't moved anything (the benefit to using the tripod) and just ran downstairs and made the focus adjustment and shot one more frame.

Shot spex: Pentax K10D, ISO 800, 48mm, f11, 1.5 sec., flash at -1.5 exposure compensation, had LumiQuest Softbox attached and flash was at a downward angle, used tripod and stroboframe. (I included some pictures of the shot setup below - thought it might be interesting to some people.)





PhotoShop spex: I opened the image in PhotoShop CS and was greeted with the RAW adjustment screen. I changed the White Balance from 5400 to 5500, the Tint from -14 to +10, the Exposure from 0.00 to +0.50, the Contrast from +25 to +35 and the Saturation from 0 to -10. I then clicked Open and made the following adjustments; I Smart Sharpened, did some cropping, dropped the Saturation another -10 and then applied the Poster Edges filter. I am kinda getting hooked on that one. I need to remember not to over use it!. I dropped the Brightness by -10 and liked what I saw.

1 comment:

  1. What a great shot, it looks like it could be an exhibit in a photography museum (the way you have it laid out and how well you have taken care of it). I also think the poster effect in PS really adds something to this image. Great setup too - I may have to look into that lumiquest thing :) beats my little cardboard softbox haha..

    ReplyDelete